Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August, you're pretty


"Do what we can, summer will have it's flies." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
:::
On the East Coast, August has been surprisingly dreamy with it's sunny skies and mild temperatures. 


I created these promotional pieces for the CBIG (Children's Book Illustration Group)
digital directory. It's the 1st step in preparing for fall and making another go of it
in the worlds of publishing and art licensing.


The "flies" in my summer tend to be work related, not the cute animals and scenes I choose to
paint, but the interruptions to that, let's just call - my job ;)
:::
These photos were taken at Grumman Studios on LI, where the 
Apollo Lunar Modules were created. Grumman is currently referred to as 
"Hollywood of the East". Fortunately, I never heard anyone actually call it that. 
We were there to work on a pretty ambitious and creative commercial. 
Our work doesn't compare to putting a man on the moon, but it pays the bills. 
I can share the commercial, once it comes out.
I mostly took pictures of the building, my friends and the floor. 
Below, dusty shoe prints on rubber mat covering cables.




A clever production assistant put a hammock up in his cube truck once it was empty. 
Above, scenic artist, Gennadi Barbush relaxes in it.


Scenics take a coffee break in the lot, while I rest in hammock :)




Hard to resist taking a pic of rust this good!
Damage the sun does to paint is often the most beautiful to me. Faded reds, pinks, blues ...
always get me.




Great shape and yellow, not sure how it functions, maybe for fire fighters?


We passed this building on the way home every night. I love it. 
Thought I took a pic with the lighted sign, but now I can't locate it.
Below, detail shots of two of my paintings that sit on either side of my bed, 
in my tiny bedroom. Sadly, they're a bit too large to hang in my apt.
I think they relate to the other photos, but I might just be tired.






Great skies to and from the job. My favorite part of the day - catching sight of New York City.
It will always excite me.



 hand-me-down, carpenter's union tee, don't have 829's, do we have one?

Fellow scenic, Michael Taranov took this photo of me "fighting the good fight".
:::
This particular job was quite a beast, in terms of hours, number of set
changes and variety of fumes inhaled. I want to end my post with a
big Thanks to Bryon Finn, who I work with a lot.
He handled everything with grace and as always,
worked his ass off. 


Ok, I have lunch, I mean work to do!
:
ps- if you like my photos, then follow me on Instagram
I share much more there :)

Have a great week!
xo, A

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Awesome photos! Wow, you 've been busy!!

By the way, I LOVE the flower painting at the top -- I love your animals too, but I've never seen your flowers before. You should paint more flowers! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Melissa! I do like painting flowers :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails